Public Policy Priority: Severe Challenging Behavior
Autism New Jersey is acutely aware of the service gap that exists for children and adults who experience challenging behavior. We are strongly advocating for a statewide adoption of an Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) treatment approach and an increase in existing program capacity to support families more effectively.
Autism New Jersey conducted a survey to assess the needs of parents of children and adults with severe challenging behaviors. There were 171 respondents, with representation from the entire state of New Jersey.
A composite of the survey results shows the typical individual is:
- 16-year-old male
- Lives at home with family
- Is aggressive, non-compliant, self-injurious and/or destructive
- Exhibits these behaviors on a daily basis
- Is currently not improving
- Participation in social and family events is very limited