CHOOSING KINDNESS In the Community
Our communities are the place to lead by example and to show that you choose kindness this April and throughout the year.
Spread the message of accepting our differences, appreciating everyone’s unique abilities, and embracing people with autism.
Connect with your town council to ensure they keep the needs of the autism community in mind.
- Write a letter stating why autism awareness is important to you. *Ambassador Tip: Use Ambassador Letterhead or our sample letter.
- Request a proclamation declaring April as Autism Awareness Month.
- Go the Extra Step: Ask to make a 5-minute presentation about autism and the needs of the autism community at the next town council meeting.
- Reach out to your mayor well in advance of the town’s April council meeting to ensure you can get the proclamation read at the meeting. Ask about a photo opportunity.
- There may be a chance to have a student with autism recite the Pledge of Allegiance, another great way to raise awareness and build acceptance!
Visit your local library and create a display showcasing information and books about autism.
- Use our rack cards, bookmarks, and posters.
- Provide coloring sheets and kids booklets in the children’s section.
Inform your co-workers about autism and why awareness is important to you.
- Hang a poster in the communal areas.
- Ask your company to match donations raised from an office Dress Down Day.
Tools and More Ideas
As an Ambassador, you have access to free tools and downloads to help enhance your awareness activities.
- Share basic information about autism from our rack card. They’re perfect to hand out at events, in the workplace, or at other community locations.
- Hang a poster and spread the message of autism awareness and acceptance by hanging in windows or in other communal areas.
- Use our awareness ambassador letterhead when writing to county freeholders or local mayors requesting proclamations.
- Highlight your supporters by asking them to sign and hang a pin-up. Perfect for neighborhood stores, restaurants, schools, and workplaces.
- Display bookmarks in the library and hand them out at schools. Don’t forget to enter our 2019 bookmark contest!
- Wear an ambassador sticker to show your support and encourage others to join you!
STAY CONNECTED TO OTHER AMBASSADORS
Share your awareness activities, be inspired, and follow the latest news and updates on our ambassador-exclusive social media feeds.
THANK YOU TO THE FOLLOWING FOR THEIR GENEROUS SUPPORT
Stay in the know!
Read our latest issues of our exclusive Ambassador Connection newsletter:
Issue 1 | Welcome
Issue 2 | Proclamations
Issue 3 | Fundraising
Issue 4 | Contests
Issue 5 | Simple Tips
Issue 6 | Ambassador Program Week 1
Issue 7 | Ambassador Program Week 2
Issue 8 | Ambassador Program Week 3